TENTATIVE AGREEMENT REACHED
BETWEEN THE NORTH READING EDUCATION ASSOCIATION
NORTH READING SCHOOL COMMITTEE
On Thursday, August 28, 2009, we reached a tentative agreement which will be presented to union members and agency fee payers for ratification on September 8, 2009 at 7:45 AM at NRHS. An official ratification notice will be mailed. Highlights of the agreement include the following:
- Three year agreement
- Reduced health insurance premium payment (savings of $148.56 for teachers on the individual plan and $399.84 on the family plan) and increased co-pays (office visit increased from $5 to $15, ER visit increased from $25 to $50, and mail order Rx increased from $10/$20/$35to $20/$40/$70)
- Year one (2009-2010 school year) 0% pay increase and delay in step increases: teachers will receive half of the value of their step increase in their pay.
- Year two (2010-2011 school year) 1% pay increase and no delay in steps.
- Year three (2011-2012 school year) 1.75% pay increase and no delay in steps.
- Elementary teachers will be relieved of the supervision of all recess-indoor and outdoor
- Pre-K teacher schedule will be adjusted to relieve pre-K teachers of the extra 2.5 hours that they have been working (in accordance with the typical elementary schedule)
- Agreement on a sub-committee to meet to determine job descriptions and teaching load for High School and Middle School department chairs, to be in place if/when the positions are restored.
Although the Bargaining Team had hoped for a more lucrative settlement to bring before you, we are convinced that this is the best possible settlement and we are recommending this agreement for ratification.